Thursday, June 3, 2010

National Cherry Festival

Last week I shared that we will be heading up to Traverse City for a week in July. It turns out that same week is also the National Cherry Festival!
I love the festival website for two reasons. First, I think that the layout of the schedule with descriptions of each event is extremely helpful for the planning of our trip. Second, I’m in love with the countdown at the top of the page because that can also serve as a countdown to the vacation!! Yippy!!

After reviewing the schedule and learning about each and every event that the festival has to offer I think that the best day to head downtown to the madness will be Monday, July 5th. Here are a few of the activities that I am looking forward to participating in…

Kid’s Festival Matinee – Princess Bride
I know that it says that it is a Kid’s Matinee but I’m the one who really wants to see the movie. It is truly one of my all time favorites!!! The 9 a.m. start time is a little off putting but what can I say… I’m willing to get up and out the door early for this AMAZING movie. I’m also hoping that Matt will say “as you wish” and come with us too!

During the festival there is a kid’s movie featured each day at the Historic State Theater.

Clinch Park Marina Train (Spirit of Traverse City)
I would like for us to all take a ride on the SPIRIT OF TRAVERSE CITY, otherwise known as Loco. No. 400, a 4-4-2 Atlantic steam-powered locomotive. The train runs through the old Clinch Park Zoo and the Marina. I think that Emma will really enjoy the ride and it will give us a chance to see some great views of the bay. Apparently this is a “must see” for visitors.

Kids’ Cherry Pie Eating Contest
I cannot pass up this great photo Op… Emma loves Cherry Pie and I cannot wait to see her with the red stuff all over here face… I promise to share the photos!

Princess Tea
Emma can dress up like a princess with the National Cherry Queen, Angela Sayler, and her Royal Court. The tea will include- Tea, coffee and cherry lemonade, along with a bakery buffet. I think that this will be something that Emma will have a blast at.

Kids’ Turtle Race
This is a competitive event for kids, ages 3 - 9 yrs and we will be borrowing a turtle so that Emma can participate in the race. Emma Loves turtles and frequently asks for a pet turtle…

Heroes Day Concert
‘A Salute to Heroes’ on the Bay Side Music Stage where Northwestern Michigan College Community and Jazz Bands, along with the Cherry Capital Chorus will perform patriotic favorites in a pops concert honoring all heroes from military active duty personnel and veterans, to emergency and first responder personnel.

Also at the festival…
Yummy Food
Beer Tent
Rides
Souvenirs
Bingo—I just happen to have a friend who recently won big at bingo so I might just have to give it a try.

Should Make for a Fun Day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment