Monday, April 8, 2013

Spare bedroom: Expedit Bookcase update

When I shared the before photos of the spare bedroom I had to hang my head in shame when it came to our Expedit Bookcase from IKEA! This thing was just an unorganized eye sore!


 
Time to get this area in control! Step one was to remove everything from the bookcase and start with a clean slate.





Next I bought a few goodies from Target! Their new Threshold bins are only $12.99! I also grabbed a few iTso bins in Turquoise for only $9.99 each.


These storage bins line the bottom of my bookcase and they are great for some hidden storage. My bins hold (Stationary/invitations, Wedding magazines, sewing fabric, and work mementos)

This photos shows the color a little better 



Next I styled the bookcase... looked great but I was not loving that you could see the wall color through the back. It was nice but a little plain jane...





So I took to pinterest for ideas.... and found this great tutorial from Honey We're Home


I purchased a twin sheet from Target.

Pulled the book case away from the wall

and used some Frog Tape to attach the flat sheet to the back of the book case. Cutting to fit.


The fabric does not go all the way to the bottom but since I was using storage bins in that row you cannot tell from the front. 




And 5 minutes later that is what I was left with! 




I love the pop of color and I like that this is easily customizable should the decor in this room change down the road!

Linked this project up at:



Photobucket
Consider Me Inspired

1 comment:

  1. WOW - I love the pop of color!! Looks great! Thanks for linking up at the Pinterest Power Party! I've pinned this idea!

    Danielle
    SewMuchCrafting.com

    ReplyDelete