Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Handmade Play dough

So for Christmas this year I wanted to make as many gifts as possible and one of the first ones that I decided to make for Hunter was a Play dough kit.


I bought the bin from Ikea and added some vinyl that I cut using my Silhouette Cameo. 

I also bought a toy kitchen baking set from Ikea and a baking mat that I thought would be perfect to play on. Ikea also had perfect round metal spice containers with a clear top. The second I saw them I knew that I would use them to hold my handmade play dough


The mat is key because I didn't want him to play with the dough on the rug or wooden floors... 
 

Next up it was time to make the dough. After a lot of Pinterest research I decided that I wanted to go with a No Cook Base recipe... I also wanted one that made just a white dough that I mixed in the coloring after...

Ingredients needed for homemade play dough:

  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 cup salt
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 2 tablespoons cream of tartar
  • 1 1/2 cups boiling water
  • Food coloring - I used Wilton Gel Coloring
Mix the ingredients with the exception of the boiling water.

Pour in water slowly and mix until it becomes a dough consistency. If needed you can add additional flour until the dough is smooth and no longer sticky.


Next I prepped my materials for the coloring

I mixed each color individually... This is a messy process as you need to use your hands to manipulate the dough and get the color fully incorporated.

here were my hands after... and this was after washing about 10 times.

Here was the end result!!!

And here is the inside of the bin with all the items organized inside

Hunter LOVED his gift and played with it immediately on Christmas Day

 

Here are a few more photos from Hunter playing...
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment