Monday, February 25, 2013

Pinterest Challenge: DIY Mercury Glass Lamp


I am so excited to be linking up to the great Pinterest Challenge (Winter Edition). Thanks so much to Sherry, Katie and their co-hosts Megan and Michelle for hosting this awesome and fun challenge!

This is my very first Pinterest Challenge and I'm so excited o participate!!!


The last time I was in B-Thrifty there was just too much eye candy in their lighting department.

I just couldn't help myself and I brought home these two beauties... Since it was President's Day everything in the store was 50% off so I scored these for only $12.49 and $10.00. Cannot beat those prices!


EHHH these were NOT going to work in their current condition. So I turned to Pinterest for some inspiration and remembered that I had previously pinned a few lamp images!


Can you guess what I did??? I  DIYed a Mercury Glass Lamp!

Again this is what I started with...


Step one was to use some Frog Tape to tape the tops and the cords...

I whipped out some Kyron Looking Glass Mirror-Like Spray Paint that I had ordered from Amazon and took the lamps out to my designated spray painting area... aka a picnic table that came with our house (when we have people over we toss an outdoor table cloth on top...) This is after one coat... Be sure to do VERY light coats as the paint will drip because it is very thin.

After three coats I decided that it was time to get my mercury glass on... 

So I whipped out a spray bottle of water and sprayed the lamps with water... this point my heart was pounding from fear that I was about to ruin the lamps. 

While the lamps were still wet I sprayed another coat of the Looking-Glass Spray Paint. I instantly loved the formerly white lamp as it looked like mercury glass immediately after spraying... the taller green lamps was another story... the water was beady and not creating the right look.


I was excited and disappointed all at once... my next thought was that the green lamp didn't work because it was a more matted ceramic type glass and that the paint had a different effect... So I have some different plans for that one down the road...

But here is my beautiful Mercury glass Lamp! I'm so proud of her! look at this side detail

She was looking a little naked on top so I headed to Bed, Bath, and Beyond for a simple medium shade, and other materials.
For the sake of the project I put both lamps behind the bed... Big improvement from where we were at the beginning of February


Again I love the results that I had on my one VERY glossy glass lamp... I'm going to be on the look out for another one with similar lines so that hubby can have a nice Mercury glass lamp.

4 comments:

  1. Really pretty!! I've been wanting to diy something like Mercury Glass! Love this project! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm drooling over the before and after's -- they look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a good idea! I've been getting sick of my green bedside lamps lately, wanting something a bit more neutral (but still interesting) - maybe this is the solution!

    ReplyDelete