Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Master Bedroom: Chalk Paint on an IKEA Laminate Dresser

As I shared yesterday we had a busy weekend in the Park household and part of that included an update to the UGLY plain IKEA Malm dresser that I have been trying to break for years...

Here is a reminder of what my dresser looked like...


Just didn't fit with the light feel that I would like in my master bedroom...  So I decided that this would be a perfect opportunity to break out some Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Paris Gray that I've had forever. I've wanted to try this paint due to the fact that you do not have to prep or prime your surface. I figured that my laminate piece would be the perfect tester, for the chalk paint, because I've heard horror stories about people painting laminate and the paint just peeling off.. The heavy Chalk paint is suppose to stick on "any" surface and typically with only one coat... 



So I got to painting right after work on Friday and in between, play time, feedings, and making dinner I was able to paint a majority of the dresser... and yes... I was a slacker and didn't even move it out of the bedroom... Just put some paper down at the base to make sure that I didn't get any paint on the floor...  After one coat (which is really all I would have needed in this color because it is so thick) I started to realize something... The color was WAY too close to the wall color! Even Emma told me that I was painting the dresser the wrong color... and I had to agree...

I was hoping that in the daylight it would look better but no such luck... ehhh all that wasted time! I was feeling very deflated! 

Here is a close up so you can see the great coverage that the Paris Gray has...

So off to the store I went and I threw down another $38.00 for ANOTHER can of paint...  This time in Old White.

After TWO coats... Not sure if that was because it was had to cover the very thick gray or if it would typically take two coats.. this is the result. 

After 24 hours I applied LIGHTLY a Annie Sloan clear wax... They are not kidding around that a little goes a long way! 

So my thoughts on the Chalk paint were that it was SUPER easy to use on the laminate and I love the results! My only cons were that I had to redo the entire project but that was my own fault... The paint and wax are also pricy but again a little goes a long way... With the small can I can probably paint all of the furniture in my room and still have some left over... So in my mind that is $38.00 well spent.

So now I'm thinking about hardware... here are a few options that caught my eye at Home Depot.

$3.95 Each

$3.97 Each

$1.98 each

$3.99 each

What are your thoughts?  I'm also playing around with the idea of adding legs???

Linked up at:

Liz Marie Blog

24 comments:

  1. I'd go with the number one knob only because of the look you have on the wall above it. You know... you could have put that in Matt's office to help him be organized!! :-) I'm sure once you paint the other pieces It's going to take on a whole new look! That Annie Sloan paint does wonders. Well this would make good furniture for Emma some day too- unless she's all set already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like knob one is winning so far! Down the road when we get new furniture in our master this is going to go in our spare bedroom :)

      Delete
  2. Definitely knob one. And please update us on how the chalk paint holds up on the ikea piece. I have an Ikea toy box that we have tried painting once we changed the other furniture. The spray paint (just regular spray paint) ended up scratching off very easily so it desperately needs to be painted again but with something that will hold up better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knob one has been ordered!! I will post an update next week!

      So far I'm loving it... the texture of the pant and coverage really makes me think that the pant will last! I'm even going to take the plunge and paint the other furniture pieces in the room!

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness...the dresser turned out perfect! And yes...Knob One! XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aimee! Also... so happy that I found your blog today. I'm obsessed with your great projects!

      Delete
  4. i vote glass knobs...reflecting the light will make the space seem bigger and lighter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks fantastic!
    How has the chalk paint held up since you painted it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It still looks perfect! Not a single bit has scratched off! I highly recommend using chalk paint on laminate! In fact I have another project that I will be doing the same way!

      Delete
  6. This looks amazing! How has the paint held up since you painted the dresser?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I live in England and was looking through pinterest at 'Annie Sloan'. Stumbled across this and strangely this is exactly what I am thinking of doing to my Ikea Malm chest of drawers! I have just painted our oak (orange looking) bed frame and now it looks very chic! Your drawers looks fab. I am also thinking of adding handles. Did you do this? How did it go?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Please let me know how the paint has held up. I'm considering this paint for my kitchen cabinets and there are a few pieces of laminate used in the construction of our builder grade cabinets. My concern is that the paint won't hold up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the paint has held up GREAT! I'm convinced that Chalk paint is bullet proof! Just have to do both steps the paint & the wax and remember that a little bit of wax goes a long way!

      Delete
  9. Did you sand the surface a bit at all or just slap the paint on there? I have two Malm dressers that are eyesores!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Did you scuff up (sand) the dresser at all? Or did you just put the paint right on it? I have two Malm dressers that are eyesores!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No sanding or scuffing! Just slapped the Chalk paint onto the dresser!

      Delete
  11. Hi Julie, I am so glad I found your site! I have visited antique stores that sell Annie's Chalk Paint and have been interested in trying it out. Just picked up some oversized, laminate white end tables and armoire at Goodwill and wanted to try to use chalk paint for them. I didn't think I was capable enough to paint furniture, but thanks to your site and the endless possibilities with Chalk Paint, I CAN transform ugly into lovely! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there ANON,

      Curious to know how your projects turned out? I bought some junk laminate things at Sally Ann and want to know if I should go and drop the cash on some chalk paint or what! THanks!

      Delete
  12. Hi
    Did you use a brush or roller? If it was a brush are there lots of brush marks? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to know too!

      Delete
    2. I used a brush and while you can see a few of the brush strokes up close it looks GREAT!

      Delete
  13. Hi Julie!

    I'm about to embark on chalk painting some old Ikea gems of my own and wondered how the chalk paint finish ended up holding up with daily use? I've painted Ikea furniture before and had terrible end results with peeling and chipping so am nervous to give it another go!

    Thanks so much for the great post!

    ReplyDelete