Tuesday, April 7, 2015

On the road again...

I'm happy to announce that I am...


On the road again. I'm excited to be back working with Secretary Carter and we are currently in Asia. In my new position I will be on the road a lot and I feel so blessed to have such an amazing support system back home. With three kiddos being on travel impacts everyone and both Matt and my mom really step up to the plate and keep everyone on schedule and, more importantly, happy. I truly wouldn't be able to do what I'm doing without the support of my family behind me!

I also take my travels as an opportunity to teach the kiddos about other cultures. This started when I would travel a lot when Emma was younger. Before a trip I hit up Amazon and purchase children's books about each of the countries that I will be  visiting and one storybook from each. While I'm at each location their nighttime stories mirror where I am in the world. When I come home I'm always sure to bring gifts with cultural significance.

Traveling also makes me cherish the time that I do have with the family at home. It tends to make me feel the need to overcompensate however and go big.... probably unnecessarily. Above all they just want to have time with their mama. They don't need big fun activities. Just cuddles and play-doh time works for them... Well maybe not Emma. She is supper happy with cuddles and movies after the boys go to bed!

My goal is to set a work life balance which continues to allow for me to pick-up the kids from school in the afternoons and spend a few hours before bed together... I mean that is what is truly important to me and even in the high-paced work environment that I find myself in I need to stay mindful of the clock. It is easy to get sucked into 12 hour days and look up and it is 6 p.m. and you get home in enough time just to tuck in the kids.... That is what I'm going to attempt to avoid! My mom and Matt are such saints when I'm on the road that I don't want to have to overly lean on them while we are back home!

Anyway... enough of my rambling! I'm excited to be back on Team Carter and to have the opportunity to work with not only Secretary Carter but also his AMAZING wife. Now back to work....

1 comment: