Thursday, July 31, 2014

Gibson: 4 Months

Our little guy is 4 months old!!!
 
He turned 4 months last Friday but I delayed this post as I wanted to include stats from our doc appointment... but they are not good!

Yesterday was the first visit that I was not able to make so Matt took Gibson alone... and now I wish that I had been able to go... apparently Gibson is NOT gaining weight the way that they would like him to... he went from 80% to under 20% over the last TWO months. His weight gain was a little UNDER 4 oz... When Matt called to give me the news I was SHOCKED! He takes 15-20 oz a day from a bottle while I'm at work and I feed him three times after work, before bed. I know that I have good milk production because my supply is actually OVER what he takes in a bottle each day.

Right after I got off the phone with Matt I called and talked to the nurse-on-call (because I was so worried). She said the fact that my milk production was so good made it even more unsettling because it could mean that there could be another reason for his "Failure to thrive." As a mother you never want to hear those words! I feel like I'm failing him as I'm his food source. We have to monitor him over the next three weeks and go back in for another official weigh-in with a doctor. I will also be taking him weekly for a weigh-in with a nurse to make sure that he doesn't loose any additional weight.

So that is my big update and I will keep you all posted... now for the fun stuff that Gibson has been doing over the last month.. things that would NEVER even make me think that he was "failing to thrive"...
  • Feeding time has become "social hour" if I talk or move Gibson will stop eating to look up at me and smile/laugh! It is so cute... makes feeding go longer but totally worth it!
  • An AMAZING sleeper still. Gibson goes down at 7:30 p.m. and wakes up around 8 a.m.
  • Drools ALL THE TIME. I keep feeling around in his mouth but no teeth yet.
  • Loves his toys! He will just sit and look at his toys for a good 20 minutes without fussing. He is starting to put them into his mouth as well. When he shakes them and they rattle he will just laugh and laugh.
  • When he gets a bottle around lunch time (when I'm at work) he takes 10 OZ!!! His morning bottle is still 5 oz. (We will be increasing his morning to 10 also in an effort to gain... but we cannot force him to eat what we put in so we will see what happens.)
  • Took TWO trips down to Georgia this month. One to celebrate his cousin's 4th birthday and one trip to pick up his big sister from summer camp! He is getting MUCH better at being in the car.
  • Is such a HAPPY man! Just smiles and laughs all the time! Loves to have his neck kissed and his big sister knows just where his magic tickle spots are.
  • Rolls over from his tummy to his back and can ALMOST roll back onto the tummy! STRONG MAN!
  • Loves to "stand" assisted, of course. Might be time to break-out the jumper-roo

Hunter at 4 Months (p.s. - Hunter was 16.6 lbs at his 4 month appointment and Gibson is 13.75...)

Gibson:
3 Months
2 Months
1 Month

No comments:

Post a Comment