Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Lucky yard work find... Morels

The other day I was doing some yard work (a rare occurrence) and found some morel mushrooms growing on the hill in my backyard. Morels are the only mushroom that my hubby will eat so I was super excited about the find.


I googled to make sure that they were not false morels and with how they are attached to the stem and the fact that the stem was hollow I felt confident that they were real and that no harm would come to us from eating them!

I knew exactly what recipe I wanted to make Fettuccine with Asparagus, Morels, and Tarragon from my Bon appetite: Fast Easy Fresh cookbook.

Ingredients 
  • 8 ounces fresh morel mushrooms
  • 3 Tablespoons Butter
  • 1C. Sliced Shallots 
  • 1 lb Asparagus (trimmed & cut into 1 inch lengths) 
  • 1 1/4 C. Veg Broth 
  • 2/3 C. Heavy Whipping Cream 
  • 2 1/2 T. Chopped fresh Tarragon 
  • 12 oz Fettuccine 
  • 1 C Grated Parmesan Cheese 
(I also cooked some chicken tenderloins chopped in 1 inch pieces and added to the dish)

Directions 

Melt butter in a heady skillet over medium-high heat. Add   shallots and morels; Saute until shallots are tender.

Add asparagus and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, cover and cook for 2 minutes.

Stir in cream and 2 T Tarragon. Simmer uncovered for until the sauce thickens, about 4 minutes. Season with salt and paper to taste.

Cook Fettuccine. Drain & return to pot. Add 1/2 C Parmesan cheese & morel and asparagus sauce; toss. Transfer to a bowl and sprinkle with remaining tarragon and Parmesan.


Emma even loved it!

Cannot wait to look for some more mushrooms! Such a lucky find.

No comments:

Post a Comment